Thursday, April 23, 2009

The World's Gone Crazy

Ok, to start off this post I want you to follow along with me and do a short checklist in your head as we go.

Number one: Have you ever done something extremely crazy and then looked back on the experience and asked yourself how you ever got up the nerve to do it?

Number two: Have you ever asked yourself a basic question that you should be able to answer about who you are and not been able to give yourself a straight answer?

Number three: Have you ever fallen for someone and actually taken a step of faith by just being completely honest with them and telling them exactly how you felt?

Number four: Were you thinking about one person throughout answering all of these questions?

Number five: If you weren't thinking about that one person before I asked number four, are you thinking about him or her now?

I am beginning to realize how extremely off the wall this post is becoming. It's completely unorganized, ridiculously cliche, and even worse, it's a very accurate representation of how my personal processing system is functioning right now. Rather depressing, no?

I've decided to take a step of faith and go on instinct rather than being in complete control at this point in my life. I'm doing what I can to keep my life from spinning completely out of control but I've come to the conclusion, yet again, that if I don't live my life then what's the point to being here. It's an interesting phenomenon, that we often realize that we are letting other's live our lives for us, we resolve to not let them control us anymore, and then we fall right back into the same old cycle. I suppose the point I'm poorly attempting to get across is this: screw the people who want to fit you into a box, hell no to the people who want you to be anything like them, and good rid ens to everyone who wants to have anything to do with how you process things!

To clarify, I am not saying this from a jaded point of view, I think everyone just needs a good wake up call sometimes to remind them that they need to live their lives and not worry about what other people think. I know I needed that. Boy, did I get a wake up call; now it's time for me to try to get that point across to you!

I have very little respect for those people who claim that they let other people have the primary say in their lives because they are trying to be "peace makers," or worse, "trying not to rock the boat." Those are pathetic excuses. So what if you rock the boat a bit, sometimes it needs to be done. Have you taken a good look around you lately and seen how screwed up this world is? Why would you want to take advice from anyone who's primary resource is People Magazine, or Vogue? Albeit, at times they have just as good a grasp on reality as advocates of Plato and Aristotle; that grasp being extremely poor.

Now, after my wonderful attempt to bash the modern media I would like to take one modern rock band who I think actually has a better grasp on things than most people I know. Below are lyrics to a song called "Crazy" by a band most people know, Simple Plan. I feel it important to point out that people often listen to these kinds of songs just because they have an awesome beat and amazing musicians but does anyone ever listen to what they're saying?

Tell me what's wrong with society
When everywhere I look I see
Young girls dying to be on TV
They wont stop 'til they've reached their dreams
***
Diet pills, surgery
Photoshop pictures in magazines
Telling them how they should be
It doesn't make sense to me
***
Is everybody going crazy?
Is anybody gonna save me?
Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Tell me what's going on
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something is wrong
***
I guess things are not how they used to be
There's no more normal families
Parents act like enemies
Making kids feel like it's world war III
***
No one cares, no one's there
I guess we're all just too damn busy
Money's our first priority
It doesn't make sense to me
***
Is everybody going crazy?
Is anybody gonna save me?
Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Tell me what's going on
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something is wrong
***
Is everybody going crazy?
Is everybody going crazy?
***
Tell me what's wrong with society
When everywhere I look I see
Rich guys driving big SUV's
While kids are starving in the streets
No one cares
No one likes to share
I guess life's unfair
***
Is everybody going crazy?
Is anybody gonna save me?
Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Tell me what's going on
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something
***
something is wrong
Is everybody going Crazy?
Can anybody tell me what's going on
Tell me what's going on
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something is wrong
***
I think it's important to say that all I'm trying to get across by putting these lyrics out here for you to see is this: everybody really is going crazy! Why should you take advice from a world that lives like this? More importantly, why should you let them live your life for you? Do you really want to end up like everyone else? Just think about it.
That's the world I see out my window.
The worlds stupidity is what forces us to strive for something better.
I strive for this,
Vivo amare imparare
(I live to love and to learn)
~Hannah

No comments: