Sunday, May 4, 2008

Music Evolved



So below is an example of a truly odd musical composition. One that is VERY popular.



Barenaked Ladies

One Week (lyrics)


It's been one week since you looked at meCocked your head to the side and said "I'm angry"Five days since you laughed at me saying"Get that together come back and see me"Three days since the living roomI realized it's all my fault, but couldn't tell youYesterday you'd forgiven mebut it'll still be two days till I say I'm sorry



Hold it now and watch the hoodwinkAs I make you stop, thinkYou'll think you're looking at AquamanI summon fish to the dish, although I like the Chalet SwissI like the sushi 'cause it's never touched a frying panHot like wasabe when I bust rhymesBig like LeAnn RimesBecause I'm all about valueBert Kaempfert's got the mad hitsYou try to match wits, you try to hold me but I bust throughGonna make a break and take a fakeI'd like a stinkin achin shakeI like vanilla, it's the finest of the flavoursGotta see the show, cause then you'll knowThe vertigo is gonna growCause it's so dangerous,you'll have to sign a waiver



How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're madTrying hard not to smile though I feel badI'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeralCan't understand what I mean?Well, you soon willI have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeveI have a history of taking off my shirt



It's been one week since you looked at meThrew your arms in the airand said "You're crazy"Five days since you tackled meI've still got the rug burns on both my kneesIt's been three days since the afternoonYou realized it's not my faultnot a moment too soonYesterday you'd forgiven meAnd now I sit back and wait til you say you're sorry



Chickity China the Chinese chickenYou have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'Watchin' X-Files with no lights onWe're dans la maisonI hope the Smoking Man's in this oneLike Harrison Ford I'm getting franticLike Sting I'm tantricLike Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy



Like Kurasawa I make mad filmsOkay, I don't make filmsBut if I did they'd have a SamuraiGonna get a set a' better clubsGonna find the kind with tiny nubsJust so my irons aren't always flying off the back-swingGotta get in tune with Sailor Moon'Cause the cartoon has got the boom anime babesThat make me think the wrong thing



How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're madTryin' hard not to smile though I feel badI'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeralCan't understand what I mean?Well, you soon willI have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeveI have a history of losing my shirt



It's been one week since you looked at meDropped your arms to your sidesand said "I'm sorry"Five days since I laughed at you and said "You just did just what I thought you were gonna do"Three days since the living roomWe realized we're both to blame,but what could we do?Yesterday you just smiled at meCause it'll still be two days till we say we're sorry



It'll still be two days till we say we're sorryIt'll still be two days till we say we're sorryBirchmount Stadium, home of the Robbie



So why did I post this truly twisted song? Could I possibly have any sane reason for it? Well the answer to that is yes. I most certainly have a reason. If it is sane, well, I cannot guarantee you of that. I have been contemplating music lately. I know this is a dangerous subject to get into because people's tastes in music very just as much as their DNA. (not exagerating.)



So here it is. I was thinking about how much people's tastes really do very. Some people will only listen to Mozart, Chopin, and verious other "greats" in the classical era of music. They think it almost a sin to listen to modern music because they believe that modern musicians and composers have destroyed what was once great. Personally, I think that music has evolved in many great ways. There are no doubt many absolutely dreadfull compositions that should never have been released to the public, but there are also many things that I think have been beneficial to the public musically. The thing about music is, no matter who you are, where you are, what you look like, sound like, or act like, you can relate to music. It is a language spoken around the world. From the Alps in Europe to the Bronx in New York there is music along with an abundance of listeners who approve of what they are hearing. The music verries from culture to culture, but everywhere where there is a human being alive, there will be music. Even if it is a simple melody hummed while they are working.

Just as art has developed and evolved over the past one hundred years so has music. Just as Pablo Picasso revolutionized every human beings definition of art in the mid 20th century with his abstract designs and ideas of using geometric shapes to create paintings, music has evolved from the "classical" forms to where it is now. In the beginning of the 20th century people were starting to explore new ways to make sounds. They started playing one composition in more than one key at the same time. They truly revolutionized "sound."

My point is this, music will ALWAYS be here. As long as there is one human being on the face of the planet, there WILL be music. Music will always evolve. Take for example how music has evolved just from the early 80's! We went from pop rock music and boy bands being the most popular thing to hard rock bands and R&B being loved all over again. Music will always be changing. Just as cultures change and grow into something new music will grow along with it. This is why I am not a "traditionalist" when it comes to the art of music. I have a respect for each and every musical style out there. Even if I do not particularlly enjoy listening to it I know that an individual person put part of their soul into producing that sound that makes that style distinct among all others.

I have a lot more to say on this subject but I am afraid that if I write much more you will get bored with me and move on to more interesting things like what's new with "brangelina" or "tomcat." *rolls eyes*.

So I will now end this blog. Feel free to comment and tell me your opinions. If there is one thing I love talking about it is music. Because no matter what, we can all relate to it in one way or another.

That's it for the world outside my window.

"vivo amare imparare"

~Hannah~

No comments: